Yes, I realize we’re 5 months into 2020, but I’ve started reading again (yay!) and I realized there are a ton of books I’ve tried in the last year that I haven’t recorded or reviewed (I only review books I love). I’ve tried out so many authors, so many books that just weren’t for me, that I thought I’d do a brief run down of why they didn’t work (for me).
My descriptions are deliberately vague, but I think I get the point across and it’s enough to help me remember the books and why I didn’t like them.
So, here goes!
- A historical romance that begins with a wedding. Didn’t get far before I became convinced that the couple’s problem could be solved with a conversation. Lack of communication as conflict doesn’t work for me.
- A sci-fi romance. It had the typical half-naked man on the cover, so I should have known it wasn’t for me, but this is a popular author in the genre and I decided to give it a chance. It was very rape-y.
- An urban fantasy with a good cover and an interesting summary, but it had so many word echoes. One on the first page, several in the first chapters… I just couldn’t. The book needed an editor.
- A fantasy romance? I’m making an assumption on the romance part of that. This was originally a traditionally published book, but it looks like the author got her rights back and republished herself. There wasn’t anything wrong with this book. I just didn’t like the feel of it. It was too light-hearted maybe? And the relationships between characters were a little awkward? Basically, it just didn’t pull me in enough to turn the pages.
- Paranormal romance. Another one by a very popular author. I really love her covers, and this series had a very good hook. The first few chapters of the first book, however, felt like a contemporary romance. There wasn’t a peep of the paranormal. I wasn’t patient enough to wait for it.
What are some reasons you’ve DNF’d a book lately?